1. Peppers, crisp, sweet and brightly colored, are a great source of cancer-fighting Vitamin C, Vitamin A, folic acid and potassium.
2. Crucifers — including cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, collards, kale, Brussels sprouts, bok choy, mustard greens, radishes, rutabaga, turnips and watercress — all include powerful phytochemnicals that help stave off cancer by stimulating protective enzymes, which block carcinogens from entering cells and suppress tumor growth. These foods help guard against bladder cancer.
3. Berries — cranberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries — are rich in Vitamin C and folic acid and are high in fiber and potassium. Berries also contain phytochemicals and are strong antioxidants.
4. Water (mineral, spring and seltzer), and decaffeinated tea are the best beverages to drink. These drinks play a key role in digestion, nutrient transmission and absorption, temperature regulation and many other bodily functions. Increasing the intake of these beverages can also help control weight by curbing the appetite. Try to drink at least 6-8 cups of fluid a day.
5. Lycopenes are found in tomato-based pasta sauce, tomato paste, ketchup and salsa and contain powerful antioxidant properties. Lycopene has an apparent ability to reduce the risk of prostate and certain other cancers, and it plays a key role in the body’s defense against aging and many degenerative diseases. Heating tomatoes is the key to breaking down the fibrous material inside tomatoes and releasing the lycopene.
6. Olive oil, extra virgin, which is mechanically pressed without any heat or chemical alteration, is one of the healthiest types of fat and includes phytochemicals with antioxidants and Vitamin E. Olive oil may help prevent breast and colon cancer.
7. Apples, especially the peel, contain cancer-fighting phytochemicals and have been proven to inhibit the growth of both colon and liver cancer cells.
8 – 10. Pumpkins, sweet potatoes and acorn squash are all described as virtual battalions of cancer-fighting carotenoids, particularly beta carotene.
More articles like this
Join our adventurous singles...